By Paul Gilmore
Read or Download Aesthetic Materialism: Electricity and American Romanticism PDF
Best literary gothic & romantic criticism books
Margaret Russett makes use of the instance of Thomas De Quincey, the nineteenth-century essayist most sensible remembered for his Confessions of an English Opium-Eater and his memoirs of Wordsworth and Coleridge, to envision the belief of the 'minor' writer, and the way it really is relating to what we now name the Romantic canon. The case of De Quincey, neither a canonical determine nor a disenfranchised marginal writer, bargains some degree of entry to in particular Romantic difficulties of literary transmission and periodization.
First released in 1968. Richard Hengist Horne, nearly unknown at the present time, used to be one of many extra notable figures of the 19th century literary scene. the writer of an epic poem Orion used to be acclaimed a piece of genius through nearly each English critic. His voluminous literary output is for the main half forgotten, yet his existence and personality, his greatly romantic aspirations to be a guy of Genius, supply a desirable tragi-comic learn.
First released in 1981. A Concordance to the Poems of John Keats meant to supply the person with a quantity appropriate to the various and more and more specialized pursuits of scholarship. This identify bargains a excessive measure of inclusiveness that attends to the poems and performs, the emended and authoritative headings, and nearly the entire variation readings thought of sizeable within the riches of the Keats manuscript fabrics.
In Transcending Textuality, Ariadna García-Bryce offers a clean examine post-Trent political tradition and Francisco de Quevedo’s position inside of it by way of analyzing his works when it comes to possibly rival technique of transmitting authority: spectacle and print. Quevedo’s hugely theatrical conceptions of energy are pointed out with court docket rite, devotional ritual, monarchical and religious imagery, and spiritual and classical oratory.
- Frauenliebe und Leben: Chamisso's Poems and Schumann's Songs (Music in Context)
- Covenant and Republic: Historical Romance and the Politics of Puritanism (Cambridge Studies in American Literature and Culture)
- Romantic Psychoanalysis: The Burden of the Mystery
- Wells Meets Deleuze: The Scientific Romances Reconsidered (Critical Explorations in Science Fiction and Fantasy)
- The Irish Fairy Tale: A Narrative Tradition from the Middle Ages to Yeats and Stephens
- The Gothic's Gothic (Routledge Revivals): Study Aids to the Tradition of The Tale of Terror
Additional info for Aesthetic Materialism: Electricity and American Romanticism